Saturday is ArtSplash!
See the schedule of the day
Will you be here this Saturday from 11am-4pm for our fabulous ArtSplash Community Celebration? It promises to be a beautiful day filled with fun, music, art, food trucks, and more. Click here to add yourself to the Facebook event and invite your friends to join you!
Here's the schedule of the day (subject to change):
- ArtSplash Scavenger Hunt (Montalvo grounds)
- Art Sale (Pavilion)
- Boots, Roots, and Shoots camp sample (Italianate Garden, $3)
- Build Your Own Fort (Great Lawn)
- Chats with the Phelan Library and History Committee (Library, historic Villa)
- Chris Reed: American Pop Star (Montalvo grounds)
- Face Painting (Great Lawn, $3)
- Music & photos: DJ Jimmy Phelan (Front Veranda)
- Open studios at the Lucas Artists Residency
- OneBeat Film Festival (Carriage House Theatre)
- Paper Folding: Weston Teruya (Side Veranda, $3)
- Pendulum Painting (Oval Garden, $3)
- Pizza tasting by new Lucas Artists Residency Chef Jordan Wolf (LAP Commons, while supplies last!)
- Pop-up Zombie Shakespeare (Montalvo grounds)
- Self-guided tour of exhibition Possibilities of Paper (Project Space Gallery)
- Self-guided tours of the historic Villa
- Spring Plant Sale (Solarium, historic Villa)
- Teaching Artists showcase (historic Villa)
- What Makes a Tree camp sample (Great Lawn)
- Wonder Commons tagging project
- Work-in-Process artist chat with Chris Loomis (Italianate Garden)
- 11:30am & 1pm: County Park Ranger-led nature trail hike (meet at the Belvedere)
- 12:30pm & 2:30pm: Curator-led tour of Possibilities of Paper (Project Space Gallery)
- 1pm & 3pm: Guided architectural tour of the LAP (meet in Parking Lot 1)
- 1:45pm: Dance performance by artist-in-residence Nehara Kalev (Grove of Generosity)
Garden Theatre Stage:
- 12pm: Executive Director Angela McConnell
- 12:15pm: Musical performance by Sonny Smith
- 1:15pm: Musical performance by Chris Reed
- 2:15pm: Traditional Zimbabwean dance and music by Chinyakare Ensemble
Need a map to figure out where everything is? Just visit montalvoarts.org/map. See you Saturday!
April 16, 2015
Montalvo is a member-supported
dedicated to the arts.
Join us on Wednesday, April 29, from 7-9pm as our Montalvo Writers Series continues with author Bruce Henderson in conversation with Katherine Maxfield about Henderson's new book Rescue at Los Baños.
As the Pacific War was drawing to a close in 1945, the Japanese tightened their grip on their POWs. Prisoners at the Los Baños prison camp in the Philippines received ruthless treatment.
Fearing the worst, General Douglas MacArthur authorized the 11th Airborne Division to embark on a dangerous rescue mission deep inside enemy-held territoryand a heart-pounding race against the clock began.
Weaving together insights from personal interviews, diaries, memoirs, and archival research, Rescue at Los Baños tells the gripping story of a group of POWs who overcame hardship with courage and resilience, and the young American and Filipino fighting men who risked their lives to save them.
Enjoy a glass of wine or beer and some hors d'oeuvres as Henderson and Maxfield discuss the book, Henderson's research and storytelling process, and his own experience onboard naval ships during the Vietnam war.
Books will be available for purchase at the event.
Our writers series events have been selling out, so don't wait to get your tickets! Click the button below to buy now, or call the Box Office at 408-961-5858 10am-4pm Monday-Friday.